Wednesday, March 29, 2023

WOYWW #721

 Another Wednesday, time for a peek at each other's desks and projects! If you would like to learn more, just go to http://www.stamping-ground.blogspot.ca/p/what-is-woyww.html. Maybe you could join our little group!


Spring is so fickle...we had, hopefully, our last blizzard-like weather, and how nice it was that none of the snow stayed! We still have patches of old snow piles here and there, but we also have bulbs starting to push their way through! How I love Spring!

Here is my desk this morning, a bit boring I'm afraid...

That's because I spent most of yesterday planning out Jasper's Quiet Book that (hopefully) I'm making her for her birthday, hence all the markers.

Have any of you ever made one of these books? I was planning on using all felt, but last night someone told me to use denim because you can wash it. I had never thought of that before, but she had wild boys...has anyone made a felt one, and how did it stand up? Any tips?

Anyway, I did work on my journal this week, and carved a couple of new stamps, a leaf and a woman:


I think I now have to work on getting my lines thinner.

Here are the pages I worked on this week:

The blue girl asked for the fox...
This was in my little journal





I added the boy to this one


I added the words to this one - all stickers



I used hand carved stamps for this border, Oxide Distress ink and embossed it all because I have found the Oxide ink takes forever to dry



The hand is a stencil from Megan Quinlan, and I think I free-handed the feather.

That's it for me for today. I did make a purchase, however I forgot to take a pic of it, a new magnifying glass on a stand with a light. It's called a "8 X Magnifying Glass Light with Stand and Holder, 3 Color Modes 10 Steps Dimmable, 2 in 1 Real Glass LED Lighted Magnifier with Adjustable Swing Arm for Handicraft Repair, Reading, Craft, Close Work"

It has made a HUGE difference! Why didn't I buy this years ago? Especially with carving stamps! Oh well, the cats are raring to go outside in the sunshine, but come running right back in because the temperatures are still hovering around 0°. Brrr!

Have a wonderful week,


PS: I try to make all my words in the largest font, and Blogger assures me that it is all largest, so I apologize if Blogger is lying...


11 comments:

Annie said...

Hi. I made quiet book pages when the twins were little and they have been used by all the grandchildren....if you use the search box on my blog all the pages I made will come up.
Hugs,
Annie x #6

Sarah Brennan said...

Loving all the latest stamp carvings and pages Lynne. I don't know if you need to make the lines thinner. I would probably not go with felt as a material for Jasper's quiet book but something washable but then I don't have that much experience making them. Meow to the kitties. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Love those stamps you’ve carved, especially the woman, she’s fantastic! I love how you’ve used her in your artwork too, absolutely wonderful, I’d take her any day over these weird bug eyed girls that people are so mad about! Great idea to make a quiet book too, denim is so sturdy, surely it would work ok and stand up to being chewed etc!
Hugs LLJ 8 xx

Helen said...

fab stamp carving, I've never tried it. I'd be sure to cut off a finger... hope you suss the quiet book for Jasper. Happy WOYWW Helen #1

Diana Taylor said...

Fabulous artwork - what a feast for the eyes. Your stamp carving is fab and I wouldn't worry about thinner lines, I think the images look great as they are. I love the idea of the quiet book, denim sounds like a good idea for being hard wearing but you get the bright colours with felt so I don't know what I would go with - perhaps both!!
Hope you have a great week
Diana xx #10

Neet said...

Not made any of those books but the denim sounds a good idea. Guess though it depends on what yu use to colour the pictures etc if you are expecting them to stand up to washing.
Your carving impresses me, I was hopeless at it and never happy with what I made - I must look for the two stamps mI did some time and show you.
Have a lovely week, stay inside if it is cold.
Hugs, Neet 2 xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Your carved stamps just get better and better. I love the lady stamp especially. Really look forward to seeing the Quiet Book as I have never heard of these before. Have a lovely creative woyww, Angela x11x

Lynnecrafts said...

Lovely carved stamps - your yellow and blue girls look like traditional Russian dolls. I adore how the blue girl talked to you and asked for a fox!
Take care
hug
Lynnecrafts 9

Crafting With Jack said...

I am so impressed with your carved stamps - specially after having a go myself. I don’t think your lines are too thick. I am going to have another go with my second block. I am wondering if a different manufacturer might make the carving easier. Angela #15

Julia Dunnit said...

I made a quiet book about 25 years ago, just from fat quarters and scraps, didn’t occur to me to use felt to be honest, but nor did the washing thing! That said, it did get washed a few times in its life, milk, dribble and Farley’s rusks and assorted snacks saw to that! My girl still has it in the plastic sack full of teddies etc, she tells me. Thanks for putting me straight on ovoids, ovals etc, not only interesting but gave me a giggle I had at how very wrong one can get over shapes…specially when you’re whining about them!!
I do hope the snow is finished for you now, it’s seriously starting to not be funny! As for the magnifier … me too. And the LED light on it is just amazing!

Mary Anne said...

Oops. Missed you on the day! Fabulous stamps! I did make a fabric busy book for my daughter when she was young, and I can see the sense of using something other than felt if the kids are messy, but I also kinda feel like they use it for a not very long time and so long as they don't get it while they eat, felt might be OK. Now I gotta go find the ovals discussion....
Happy WOYWW, bit late
Mary Anne (4)