Sunday, June 17, 2007

Coaster Art

I have done some playing with my coasters. I found a great technique in Somerset Studio (Mar-Apr 2007,p 55, Claudia Roulier) that I thought would work well on the coasters and it seems to be working nicely! I have made two collages, one for my daughter's graduation from university (on Monday June 11th)and one for me (for now!).




These are photos of the Asian Collage. I used one round coaster. I prepared the canvas by using gel medium and torn bits of asian book pages. I prepared the coaster with gesso, then gel medium, then a piece of phonebook paper, more gel medium to take a transfer image, then gel, medium on top of that. In the instructions I was following, I was supposed to then add a thin layer of gesso, then stamp and collage on top, but I stopped where I did. I then collaged the rest of the canvas. painted the edges black, and stamped the Asian word for "peace" all around the edges in red. I edged the scrabble pieces in gold. The image in the right-hand corner is from altered pages, and I coated it with a thin layer of gesso. The button stamp on the edge is SU, and stamped in gold Lumiere. The coin stamp on front is also SU, I embossed it in gold.

Graduation

It was a lovely hot day when my daughter graduated with a BA Honours in Film Production with a minor in Sexuality Studies. We were very proud!!



I made her a graduation gift using 2 of my coasters prepared in the same way as above, but I did include the rest of the technique, so the transferred image is hidden away. I started many months ago, before I knew what I was making, with a cigar box, that I painted with Lumiere paints. It hung around for months for the right project to come around.



There are all kinds of symbols in this collage, some advice, keys to the future, spreading her wings, etc. She loved it!

I am meeting with the girls this week, and have prepared some coasters for them up to the transfer part. We will experiment and I'll post the results!

No comments: